Welcome to the Homepage of The Washington Travel Clinic, the private practice of Ziad Akl, MD, FACP. Dr. Akl is a Board-Certified physician specialized in Infectious Diseases and Travel Medicine.
What makes your experience with us unique?
- We do our best to accommodate your schedule.
- Same-day appointments.
- Online appointment scheduling available. No holding on the phone.
- Conveniently located downtown right next to the Farragut West metro station.
- We are green and fully electronic.
- No paperwork. No questionnaires to fill out. No hassle.
- No need to bring a prescription with you.
- Dr. Akl personally answers the phone and will answer any questions prior to your visit. In addition, you can reach Dr. Akl easily by email.
- You are seen by a Board-Certified physician specializing in Infectious Diseases and Travel Medicine.
- We understand needle anxiety, that's why you are seen in a soothing atmosphere.
- Dr. Akl personally administers the necessary vaccines during the same visit.
- In case of an emergency, you can reach Dr. Akl 24/7 by phone.
- If a consultation is needed after your trip because of illness, Dr. Akl is available to see you and your initial visit is free if you had a full consultation before your travel.
- The regular travel visit fee is valid for one year during which follow-up visits and requests for prescription refills are free of charge.
- Prescription refill requests are easily made online.
- Our charges are clearly listed in the Pricing section.
- You can connect to our guest Wi-Fi while you wait.
At The Washington Travel Clinic, we offer a variety of services:
We are one of few centers authorized to provide the yellow fever vaccine, which we record on an International Certificate of Vaccination. The vaccines we offer are listed below, and our cost structure is clearly posted in the Pricing section.
Click on each vaccine for valuable information
1712 I St, NW
Washington, DC 20006
What makes our services exceptional
At The Washington Travel Clinic, we do our best to accommodate your schedule. Our clients find that
our online appointment scheduling service is extremely convenient; it allows for secure registration and for making, rescheduling and canceling appointments with a few clicks, 24/7. Appointment confirmations and reminders are automatically sent to you via e-mail.
Our office is conveniently located near the Farragut West metro station.
We are paperless and we strive to be green. We use electronic charts and there are no forms or questionnaires to fill out. Even our sign-in sheet is electronic.
At the Washington Travel Clinic you are seen by a physician specializing in Infectious Diseases and
Travel Medicine. Dr. Akl answers the phone personally and will discuss your concerns, if any, prior to your visit. During your visit, Dr. Akl will review your medical history and itinerary - this allows him to determine which vaccines you should receive and what other preventive measures you should take.
Dr. Akl personally administers the necessary vaccines during the same visit. His use of very thin
needles makes your experience almost painless. Administered vaccines
are recorded on an International
Certificate of Vaccination, which is provided to you during the same visit.
Information on travel precautions is discussed and sent to you via e-mail at the time of your visit.
Prescriptions are provided as needed and for your convenience can be sent electronically to a pharmacy of your choice -- this way your medicines will be ready for you to pick-up when you get to the pharmacy. Blood
tests, when needed, are drawn on location.
Follow-up appointments and payments are conveniently made in the same exam room, which is why our clients
call us a one-stop shop. Testimonials describe the experience as “painless,” “easy,” “efficient,” “fast” and “convenient.” Upon request, your physician is sent a letter documenting the vaccines you received. A copy
of your medical records is a mouse-click away and is sent to you via e-mail upon request.
In case of an emergency, you can reach Dr. Akl personally 24/7 by phone. If a consultation is needed after your trip because of illness, Dr. Akl is available to see you and your initial visit is free if you had a full consultation before your travel.
Our regular travel visit fee is $60 per person, which includes a full travel
consultation. Families are charged a flat $110 fee. The regular visit fee is valid for one
year during which follow-up visits and requests for prescription refills
are free of charge. If only one vaccine is needed and no consultation
is requested, the visit fee is $30. For non-travelers requesting vaccines (e.g. for immigration, work, school,
etc.) the visit fee is $30.
The cost of the various vaccines offered is listed in the Pricing section. We do not charge a visit fee for the flu, shingles and HPV vaccines. Charges for physicals depend on the complexity of the exam. Please click on Pricing for additional information.